The annual two-week construction holiday in Quebec is in full swing, and as many Quebecers stay closer to home this summer due to COVID-19, towns in the Gaspé region are seeing an influx of tourists drawn by the charming seaside landscapes.
But the mayor of Gaspé, Que., a popular tourist destination on the peninsula’s east coast, fears some visitors are camping wherever they find space, harming the environment and inconveniencing locals.
“We see a lot of tents on public beaches, in forests, on private land without the approval of the owners of these lands,” said Mayor Daniel Côté in an interview Thursday.
Mr. Côté said he had high hopes that tourists would come to the Gaspé this summer despite the pandemic. Authorities had closed the region to foreigners earlier this year to stop the spread of COVID-19.
But Mr. Côté said he was taken aback by the number of tourists who arrived without hotel or camping reservations. “People flooded into public beaches and decided that was where they would set up camp,” he said.
A series of photos posted to Facebook on Wednesday showed tents and camping chairs lined up along a beach, along with empty beer cans and other trash strewn across the sand. The Canadian Press could not independently verify the photos, which were reportedly taken at Haldimand Beach in Gaspé.
The post was shared nearly 600 times Thursday afternoon and garnered more than 300 comments, many of which criticized tourists and called on the city to take action. Mr. Côté specified that public beaches are under provincial jurisdiction, so the municipality has limited means to intervene.
But he said Gaspé intended to hire people to patrol busy public areas and inform visitors of the rules, which include bans on driving vehicles on public beaches and disposing of litter in completely safe.
The city is also working with the Quebec Provincial Police and the neighboring Mi’kmaq Nation of Gespeg to protect the area, Côté added. “As a municipality, we don’t have coercive power to force people out of areas…so we’ll go ahead with awareness raising.”
In a statement on Thursday, officials from the Mi’kmaq Nation of Gespeg said unregulated camping in the area has gotten “out of control” and is negatively affecting local wildlife and ecosystems.
“On the beaches, stranded wood, which is important for slowing erosion, is burned without knowing what the consequences are,” the statement said. “Migratory birds are disturbed at their nesting sites. We can’t even keep track of the amount of litter littering the waters, beaches, parking lots and rest areas.
The regional public health authority launched an awareness campaign this month to prevent the potential spread of COVID-19 in Gaspésie amid the wave of tourists.
Small teams are deployed throughout the region to ensure that people follow public health guidelines, explained Clémence Beaulieu-Gendron, spokesperson for the CISSS de la Gaspésie. She said several local mayors have asked public health teams to come to their towns.
So far, a team of four outreach workers has been working in the Sainte-Anne-des-Monts area, on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, while others have been sent to Gaspé, Percé and Carleton- on sea. .
“They are not police. It’s important to say that,” said Ms. Beaulieu-Gendron about the workers in an interview. “It’s really to raise awareness to avoid a second wave, or in any case, to reduce the risk of the virus spreading in the region during the summer holidays.”
Lily Gang, owner of Motel-Camping Fort Ramsay in Gaspé, said this summer looks just as busy as previous years. His business has 32 motel rooms and 42 campgrounds, which normally accommodate both trailers and tents.
But Ms Gang said she chose not to take any reservations for tent camping this year because she felt uncomfortable with customers using communal toilets and showers during the COVID-19 pandemic. . She said she was also worried that campers would put her cleaning staff at risk.
“I don’t know how to handle so many people together,” Ms. Gang said in an interview.
Côté said the area typically receives 800,000 visitors each summer, but this year he expects more. He said he intended to speak to the provincial government this fall to ensure public beaches are not overrun again next year.
In the meantime, he encouraged tourists to plan their trips to the region in advance – and only visit if they have reservations. “It will be our great pleasure to welcome you, provided that you behave with respect towards the people of the region.”
Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are compiled by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. register today.